Friday, August 27, 2010

Shisha and Chocolate Cake

We found an apartment, well, it was the apartment that we already found, but we signed a lease for four months and got to cleaning. After a four hour adventure to the Hypermart, we had some quality apartment bonding by removing the copious amounts of dust that occupied every crevasse of the rooms. We moved one of the beds out of the second bedroom and moved it into the dinning room, so we all have our own rooms. All I need now are some gorgeous Egyptian curtains to act as a door.

Staying with Lauren was a happy break from the bustling city. The embassy has put her up in a beautiful three bedroom apartment outside of Zamelek. She was such a great hostess, letting us stay with her for two nights. She showed us the neighborhood a bit and we visited Cloud Nine to get our first taste of hookah or shisha (also spelt sheesha). I have also taken up the quest for finding the perfect piece of Egyptain chocolate cake. It's a hard task, but I'm willing to do it. We don't have internet right now, so we've taken up residence at a cafe and restaurant near our apartment. Shisha, delicious food, and free WiFi right next door. It's a beautiful atmosphere, and for less than $10 American it's a great place to spend the evening.

We are all moved in now and orientation starts tomorrow. I'm looking forward to meeting more students and I'm hoping with all my might that my Survival Arabic course does something to bridge the language gap that I'm experiencing. Also, now that we're settled, I'm ready to go back into the city and seeing everything else it has to offer. It was a little too exhausting to explore, apartment search, and cope with the jet lag and the heat that was last week. Having a home base is an exciting step, and I'm so ready to adventure. Trips to the White Desert, Alexandria, Aswan, The Red Sea, and Luxor are also in the works for the upcoming months. So excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment